Monday, September 16, 2013

Back At It!

Last week we had a Fall Kick off for the Christ First Weight Loss support group. We have 10 highly motivated people who have decided to make the changes necessary for getting healthy. I'm one of those people. I want to share my story as a stumbling leader.
My name is Kevin Eckert. I'm the Youth Director at St. John UCC in Freeport IL. I started my weight loss journey at 455 + lbs. At the time the scales I had didn't weight over that so I truly have no idea at what weight my journey started. God lead me to a wonderful weight loss group call First Place 4 Health. This faith based weight loss program begun the transformation of me spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically. For several years I worked at getting me healthy. I experienced great success with weight loss and continually challenged myself physically. After a few years I was encouraged to begin my own weight loss group at my church. After several years and over a hundred participants I began my biggest challenge yet. In the early months of 2011 I found that I had injured my back. I had sustained quite a severe injury and it was quite depressing. I had a surgery to correct the pain but the relief was short lives. In January 2012 I found myself in the hospital for my back, again. I felt defeated and hopeless. The depression was so great that I turned back to food to self medicate my depression. I knew I needed to pursue a healthy lifestyle but the depression won the battle for several seasons. I struggled and stumbled as a leader, husband and father. I came to a point with my depression that I decided to get help. I began to prepare for a "Come Back". Struggles with weight will be a life long journey. I know with God's guidance I will restore this temple He has provided me. I can't do this alone. I have an extremely supportive family and a wonderful weight loss support group. My journey hasn't been easy and I have along road ahead of me. Please keep me in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment